Saturday, May 1, 2010

Buddies

My griefshare buddies met for lunch today and WOW. I was reminded so very powerfully why I have connected so well with this group. The common concerns---how do we look after the yard without our husbands, how long will we wear our wedding rings, how are our children-big and smaller-doing with their lives, moving from one house to another as a single person--ever poignant reminders of our changed status. And in spite of the range of ages, we have our ever present sadness as a bond. A few friends keep in touch regularly, but the change in me has been to my very marrow--I am not the same, nor will I be the 'old' me. This sadness is not always visible, but it is always palpable ( nurse talk now, it seems), just under the surface, quite easy to find but at the same time easy for others to ignore. For this very reason, I love these "buddies" who know this hidden part of me.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you have a group of friends like this. My Mom still meets monthly with the friends she made in a grief group. They meet for lunch somewhere and talk about the new challenges, joys, and just generally walk together. Mom is actually going on a trip this summer with one of them.

    It's true that they can be friends in a way that some of us can't be even though we love you and want to support you along your way.

    Love you!
    Syl

    ReplyDelete