Thursday, November 11, 2010

Nov. 11, Remembrance Day. I have read many posts and viewed many YouTube poignant, touching posts honouring veterans. There are many opinions about war- and I offer some here.


www.youtube.com
Rick Mercer in Bosnia

www.youtube.com
On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a Shoppers Drug Mart store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the store's PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for

Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori. (W. Owen)

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- it is sweet and right to die for your country." Ever since I heard these words in grade 5 or 6 they struck me as false, serving the state in convincing the individual to give up their life. It is a sacrifice that should not have to be made.

My sister-in-law made this comment, and I absolutely agree.

When I became a member of the Mennonite church, a pacifist, as it were, I had to reconcile this for myself. Peace, not war, is currently my choice.
Wars today are usually for very different reasons than Mr. Hitler's campaign of WWII.
BUT what about those people in countries needing help?
Are the various armed forces of many nations fighting for freedom? No, I do not think this. What about wars for oil? But are all wars based on hate? or money? or oil? old grudges? So many questions....but for today, I choose to remember.

3 comments:

  1. Deb, I don't know if you listen to any sermon series other than what is preached in your church. But I found Bruxey Cavey's Series called Inglorious Pastors on the pacifist stance, the most clear and convincing biblical teaching on non-violence. Here's the link: http://www.themeetinghouse.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&Itemid=3&a80e25747060a573e6e62ea09d2af118=8cf9e2783677265848825e0af8008578

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was mssing one of my edits, which is the second last paragraph--a comment by my sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete